Wednesday, December 26, 2012

God's Way...Not Ours


"I know, O Lord, that a man's life is not his own; it is not for man to direct his steps."  -  Jeremiah 10:23



Even though our adoption journey is just beginning, Jenny and I have been encouraged and amazed at how God is guiding our steps and decisions.  At times it really does feel like we're just passengers along for the ride, which is probably how is should feel I guess.  For those of us who like to feel in control of things, it can be unsettling to let go of some much and embrace the unknown, but it is easy when you realize who IS in control.  


As some of you may know, I've been dissatisfied with my career in the last year and have thought about different employment options as a result.  Through alot of prayer though, I felt that I needed to stay put for now and that God had a plan for me there.  In my worldly view, I thought, "well, I guess He's going to bless me with a promotion or some other professional advancement...".  Instead, I started to get a sense of God's plan this week when I learned that my employer was just named one of the top 100 companies to work for for employees that are adopting!  Our benefits package allows for $10,000 in adoption expense reimbursement and a number of other supporting services as well!  I'm currently reading through Genesis and was immediately reminded of Abraham's attempt to interpret God's plan for his life through his human wisdom when God told him that he would establish a covenant with mankind through Abraham and Sarah's unborn son.  Since Sarah was a hundred years old already, Abraham couldn't imagine how God would fulfill his promise and instead suggested an easier and more realistic path to fulfillment by simply establishing the covenant through his son Ishmael that he had with Hagar his maidservant. (Gen 17:15-19)  This seems to be a common reflex that we have when we have an idea of what God's plan for our lives is, but try to accomplish it through our own wisdom and not his.  Pray that Jenny and I resist this urge and instead learn to surrender completely to His will and whatever direction it takes us.

There are several other instances that we have been noticing in which we see God's hand leading us and it is really exciting to see the path revealed to us as we go.  I know it drives Jenny crazy sometimes, so pray for patience, but the journey wouldn't be near as amazing if we knew every twist and turn in advance.

Things are certainly ramping up as we head into 2013 and we appreciate everyone's support and prayers.  We'll be including more posts to update you on the progress and any other exciting things we discover along the way.

Merry Christmas to you and yours and Happy New Year!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment